Children with feeding tubes have them for numerous reasons Olivia has hers because she had an unsafe swallow, cows protein & soy allergy. She was dangerously underweight last year & an NG tube was inserted. We’ve experimented with various meals & supplements this is what we’ve recently discovered that have made a huge impact on her health & growth.
1. Spirulina – “most nutrient-dense food on the planet.”
Spirulina is a natural “algae” (cyanbacteria) powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available.
It is largely made up of protein and essential amino acids and is typically recommended to vegetarians due to its high natural iron content.
* Protein: It is considered a complete source of high-quality protein and is often compared to eggs for the amount of protein per gram. The protein in Spirulina is highly usable and has a net protein utilisation rate of between 50-61%
* Vitamin B1: Also called Thiamin, this vitamin is necessary for the digestion of fats and proteins. It is often taken for increased energy, eye health, brain function and for improving nerve functioning.
* Iron: Spirulina is a favourite food for vegetarians and vegans because it is one of the best plant sources of iron. Even for those who consume meat, it has a highly absorbable form of iron that is gentle on the digestive system.
* Calcium: Spirulina is also incredibly high in calcium with over 26 times the calcium in milk.
2. Omega 3s
Omega 3 liquid is an essential fatty acid sourced from fish oil. It is described as ‘essential’ as it is required by the body for normal, healthy functioning. Omega 3 can also reduce blood fatty acid levels to support weight control and fat loss. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant and helps to protect cells against harmful free radicals which are produced as a result of intense exercise.
This one is a given as I believe everybody should take a multivitamin. We give Olivia Well baby Multivitamin liquid which is carefully balanced, comprehensive range of 14 essential vitamins and minerals. All contributing to the normal cognitive development, and vitamin D, which is needed for normal growth and development of bone in children. Vitamin D also contributes to their normal immune system function.